Saturday, September 21, 2013

This morning I took the 105 bus.  It was supposed to take me to Hero's Square a large memorial in the middle of the city honoring the founders and great warriors of Hungary. I planned to walk to the huge Saturday morning flea market not far from there.  The 105 takes me across the old Chain Bridge into the heart of Pest.  As the bus approached the bridge - it continued around a circle and took an entirely different direction.  I noticed the fellow sitting across from turn around and look at the driver.  Then he muttered something in Hungarian and got up and tapped on the bus driver's window.  (The bus drivers sit in an enclosed box for protection from bus riders.)  The bus driver said something back in Hungarian and continued down the wrong path.  At the next stop, my fellow passenger got off.  As the ride continued - person after person tapped on the driver's window and conversed with him, and time after time, shortly after their conversation - they got off the 105.

You're probably wondering why I didn't get off the 105.  Well, unfortunately, I left my handy little iphone at home which has a sweet little app with a map of Budapest and a blinking blue dot (which represents me).  Those of you who know me well, know that my sense of direction is simply not there.  (I get lost in Greenville - even though I've lived there for at least 30 years - and its not that big.)  We were traveling on streets that I had never seen before.  Finally - when I was the last person on the bus - I tapped on the bus driver's window and said, "Hero's Square?"  He had already pulled away from the bus stop and immediately stopped the bus in the middle of the street and pointed down the road.  There it was...Here's Square.  Thankfully, he opened the doors and set me free!

So what was the problem?  Why had he taken this crazy route?

Here's Square had been transformed into a horse racing track.  No kidding - in the middle of Budapest - they had laid down tons of sand and bleachers and tents for a day of horse racing.  It would be like putting a race track around the Washington Monument or the Reflection Pool of the Lincoln Memorial.  In between the Hungarian Museum of Modern Art and the Fine Art Museum of Budapest was a horse race.  Take that Heritage Green!

I eventually made it to the Flea Market and had a great time.  One lady thought I was Polish and kept speaking to me in polish - one man chased after me with a gorgeous gold frame that I refused to buy because he was asking too much, and all I purchased were these delicious, freshly-cut potato chips.  YUM - where's my woodchuck?


Please forgive my lack of blog posts this week.  I've been working hard on a few new projects and will hopefully show them to you in the next few days!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Kyle... what a fun (but unnerving) adventure you had!!! I am so glad you made it to your destination. That sounds so very stressful, but then what a relief that you were taken to the right place. I wish I could be there with you, walking around the flea market together! Eat some of those chips for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jennifer - you know me - I love telling dramatic stories - it really wasn't that bad, I knew I'd get home at the end of the day. The flea markets here are quite fun - so much, overwhelming. I'd be buying lots more if I didn't have to pack it up in a suitcase. I'm eating way too many chips, but burning up the calories because of walking everywhere. That a GOOD thing, as Martha would say!

      Delete
  2. Need some woodchuck for sure! I'm sure there's got to be some excellent cider for the buying over there thought =) On a side note, I keep posting things on your blog through my iPhone and then realizing later (when I actually check from my computer like today) that for some reason the ones I post from my iPhone aren't showing up! I love you Auntie o'mine, I really do, but my iPhone apparently doesn't want you to know =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I just wrote a fine reply to your comment and didn't "publish" it. Maybe that's the catch? Who knows. Yes, yes - I found a british version of woodchuck's, I think it called Sully's. They've got lots of flavors too - yum! So, you've got only two months to get yourself over here. I went by the handmade glove shop (which is right next door to the handmade book shop) the other day and thought of you. The flea markets and second-hand stores are also right up your alley! Miss you!

      Delete
  3. ha-ha-ha, I thought that I have send you the program on the National Horse ride at Hero SQ... It is fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beata - you did send me information about the horse race, but I think it was in Hungarian. I could have figured out the day though - but I just wasn't paying attention. Yes, it was loads of fun! I couldn't believe how nicely everything was set up!

    ReplyDelete