Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sisters

There are many things I like about living in Budapest.  I've already mentioned that dogs are allowed on all public transportation, but here are three more!

I love that everyone carries a shopping bag with them at all times.  Typically Hungarians don't go to Walmart on a biweekly basis to stock up their freezer and fridge.  Shopping for them is a daily task.  Most folks here use public transportation, so shopping must be done in bits and pieces. Its nothing to see a man carrying a large bottle of laundry detergent and a young lady with a 12 pack of toilet paper under her arm on the bus.  I stop by the grocery store almost every day to get milk or bread or potato chips.  (Did I mention the chips here are fried in sunflower oil and they're fabulous?) Food is super fresh and goes bad quickly because preservatives aren't use much.

Secondly, I love all the second-hand clothing stores.  In the states - I'm not really into digging through someone's discarded clothing, but for some reason its different here.  Yesterday I found a pair of prussian blue Gandhi pants - for only $5.  I didn't have the guts to wear them to church today, but you bet they'll be sportin' around town tomorrow.

Last of all - public displays of affection are everywhere.  At first it made me a bit uncomfortable - I didn't realize how reserved I am.  But now I find it comforting to see how much a person enjoys the company of another.  Hungarians are known for being frowners, but when they see a friend or family member - their faces light up like a Christmas tree.  They greet and hug and kiss because they're happy to see each other.  Yesterday, as I was getting off the subway, I spotted these two sisters, arm in arm.  It made me think of my sweet sister (who has a birthday tomorrow!)  She's a trooper - watching my fat, mean, black cat for months on end.  Can't wait to go shopping together when I get back!


1 comment:

  1. I want some of those potato chips! (The photo is really sweet too.)

    ReplyDelete