Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Shoes...

Yesterday I went on a wild goose chase to find a "garage sale" that turned out to be four women selling their old clothes and shoes in a basement of a damp store.  I heard about it through a facebook group and the description and pictures were greatly exaggerated.

So, I decided to go on a sunset walk along the Danube to end a really nice day. I had heard about a sculpture located near the Parliment Building - so I headed that way.  After walking about 15 minutes, I found it and not a soul was there.  No plaque or words could be found to tell the title or the artist, just the sculpture.

Its a somber scene - scattered bronze shoes pointed toward the water on the edge of the river wall. I've been told it commemorates the lives of jewish victims during World War II. These people were ordered to take their shoes off at the edge of the water before they were machine gunned into the current.  I'm glad no one was there - words can't express my quiet sadness.





2 comments:

  1. This is really powerful.

    I miss you sweet Kyle, but love that you are finding so much inspiration in Hungary.

    Much love from crazy G-ville...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this sculpture. I am moved by it personally, and will save it to share with my students as a writing prompt when we are closer to that period in history.
    I miss you Kyle, but am so enjoying my vicarious stroll through Budapest!

    ReplyDelete