Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of School

Yesterday morning as I was fixing my morning latte, I heard voices of children singing in the back yard.  I opened the back window and found I was right.  The kids weren't actually in my back yard, but at a school about a half a block away.  They were singing the Hungarian national anthem with all their heart.  The school year here starts quite formally.  Each school has an opening ceremony on the first day of school - where the students sing, recite poetry, dance and even pray.  Students of all ages usually wear some variation of black and white.  I'm not sure if this is a requirement or tradition or being polite or just trying to make a good first impression - who knows.
As I was running around town yesterday, I saw lots and lots of young ladies wearing black skirts and white blouses and hose and young men in black suits and ties. Kind of fun to see!  

No comments:

Post a Comment